Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Path for plugins

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:56:19 -0400

Tyson Clarke wrote:
This probably a simple question, but I have searched high and low for an answer and been unable to find anything.

My Linux install of Wireshark was done from my home directory of /home/hello/wireshark-1.0.0 using:
  ./autogen.sh
  ./configure
  make install

I followed all of the directions in the doc/README.plugins to create my plugin and it works fine when I run Wireshark as the local user. However, the .so file created in /usr/local/lib/wireshark/plugins/1.0.0 has the absolute path name "/home/hello/wireshark-1.0.0" embedded in it.

What do you mean it has the path embedded in it? Did you do a 'strings' on it or...?

The process to re-use this plugin on a different install I assume is to just copy the .so file over to the /usr/local/lib/wireshark/plugins/1.0.0 directory on that machine, but obviously that will not work because of the absolute path embedded in it.

Have you tried it? It may be that the path name you're seeing is just in the debug symbols. Anyway it's Wireshark that needs to know to find your plugin in /usr/local/lib/wireshark/plugins/1.0.0, not the plugin.