Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Need a new DLT value

From: Nirupama Sankaranarayanan <nirupama76@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 17:35:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

I have written a small ATM dissector and need a new
DLT value for it.

Need for the dissector -

* I am trying to decode a number of emulations like
IS-IS, OSPF, BGP, PPPoE, PPPoEoA, etc.
* These are all running over ATM and may be LLC/SNAP
encapsulated or not.
* The existing dissectors like WTAP_ENCAP_ATM_RFC1483
(link type = 100) are insufficient for my requirements
since the packets are not always LLC/SNAP
encapsulated. They may be VC-Mux (IPv4) or VC-Mux PPP
etc.
* The other ATM dissectors for SunATM, JuniperATM1,
etc. are proprietary formats. The packets that I am
attempting to dissect are not of those formats and nor
can I convert them to comply to those formats.
* Additionally, I also need to decode the ATM (UNI)
header itself.

This seemed to indicate that I needed a new dissector.

I have (very) temporarily taken over a user dissector
in order to test my changes (only on my workstation I
might add). However, it is obviously a state of
affairs that cannot last for long. I wany to
contribute the change back to the Wireshark community
and hence require a new DLT value and corresponding
link type value.

If you need any more information from my side, please
let me know.

Thanks,
Niru