Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] A question about how to improve the time resolutionof ARRIVA

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:04:26 -0700
Packets are not timestamped by Wireshark. They are timestamped by the WinPcap driver. In case of the AirPcap adapters, each packets ships with two timestamps, one generated by the driver (in the bpf/pcap header) and one generated by the hardware within the PPI/radiotap header.

You cannot improve timestamp precision to nanosecond in software, you need to have the hardware timestamp your packets.

Have a nice day
GV