Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Buidling Wireshark using MingW/MSyS on WIndows ?

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 13:56:12 +0100
John Smith wrote:
I have nothing against Microsoft nor open source, I just chose Eclipse
as my build environment as Im used to it on Linux. Furthermore, I see
this as a training/tutorial exercise, as I desire to build some other
open source software the same way. By the way, MingW/MSYS let's you
run "./configure ;make all ; make install" on Windows, and most of
these projects come with Unix style Makefiles/automake and are pretty
hard to get compiled using Microsoft's IDE.

For better or worse Wireshark on Windows is built as a windows app using the MS toolchain. Although there is the standard *nix stuff for building on *nix platforms I don't think anyone has attempted to use that on windows for a long time. I believe that someone once managed to get it to build under Cygwin.

I wish you luck in your endeavours.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice