Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 14:30:22 -0700

On May 14, 2008, at 1:15 PM, Stephane Bryant wrote:

I am currently developping a dissector for a protocol which may
encapsulate any type of protocol as payload (or at least: i do not
want to decide once and for all which protocols it may encapsulate).
As far as i have seen the only way to add subdissectors for this is to
call dissector_add/heur_dissector_add on the protocol's dissector_list
name, from
all possibly encapsulated protocols' dissectors. Would there be a shortcut
to avoid this, something like a "try all the protocols  there is" ?

No.

Please note that there are many dissectors that expect to be provided with extra information by the dissectors that are calling them (i.e., they're expecting to be called by dissectors that behave in a particular way), so it isn't the case that, for all values of Y, dissector Y can be called by an arbitrary dissector.