Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] checkAPIs being run every incremental build on Windows
From: Jeff Morriss <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 08:49:49 -0400

Sébastien Tandel wrote:

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Bill Meier <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
    Having checkAPIs run in various directories during every Windows
    incremental build (even when there are no file changes)
    is a drag....  :)

    Could we maybe have checkAPIs default to not being run (via an
    environment variable or whatever) and then set the buildbot builds
    to run checkAPIs ?

    In the same way that we use "fail on warning" for C compiles, it seems
    to me that this should be sufficient enforcement as long as a build with
    checkAPIs enabled causes  a 'fail' if checkAPIs reports a problem.

    Or: maybe a way to run checkAPIs only on changed files ?

or only on the diffs as I've implemented in Flawfinder. As it could be used too in a "preventive" way on patches sent to us.
P.S. : I've not taken a look at checkAPI but I guess we could also use
flawfinder i.s.o. checkAPI ... as it seems doing the same job. Here is
the sourceforge project page :  https://sourceforge.net/projects/flawfinder/
Except that checkAPI has a lot of Wireshark-specific stuff in it too
(e.g., the "*_hidden()" APIs are all deprecated and checkAPI checks for
that).