Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Question on text2pcap behaviour

From: Andy Lawman <ALawman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 16:29:48 +0100

Abhik,

Because it was designed to read dumps in od format, I think that text2pcap expects something that it will ignore on the right. The current version might accept a trailing blank, but I don't think that's guaranteed to work; it sounds more like a bug that someone might fix.

Andy.

"Abhik Sarkar" <sarkar.abhik@xxxxxxxxx>
"Developer support list for Wireshark" <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
bcc
Subject
Re: [Wireshark-dev] Question on text2pcap behaviour

"Abhik Sarkar" <sarkar.abhik@xxxxxxxxx>

Please respond to : Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent by: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
01/05/2008 12:36

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Andy Lawman <ALawman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Abhik,
>
> text2pcap was designed to read hex dumps in od format ie: with a character
> representation of the data on the right. If, like me, you have to create a
> hex dump from some other source to act as input to text2pcap, then it's your
> responsibility to ensure that there's something on the right that acts as a
> place holder. I append " .." which is sufficient for text2pcap.
>
> Andy.

Thanks Andy... if that's how it was meant to be, then I'll take your tip (or the
shorter path of just adding the space in the end ;-)

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Richard van der Hoff
<richardv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Thanks Abhik. I suspect the guy that originally posted the patch lost
>  the will to work on it any further after nothing happened for three
>  months... If you could polish up his patch a bit more, that would be
>  fabulous.
>

>  On a side note (not /neccessarily/ something i expect you to do anything
>  about, Abhik), it would be fabulous if text2pcap had some tests... just
>  some sample input and expected output such that we can check there
>  aren't any regressions as patches get applied. This is true of much of
>  our code... there aren't enough tests for my liking. How do others feel
>  about this?

Perhaps I have bitten off a bit more than I can chew here, but it will be a
learning experience for me if I can do this... so I take the challenge :-)
If someone beats me to it, I don't mind of course.

Regards,
Abhik