Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Another one with dissector questions

From: Jens Steinhauser <jens.steinhauser@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:39:54 +0200
Ok, I changed my dissector to use a conversation. The dissector creates
a new conversation for every configuration frame it finds and uses
conversation_add_proto_data() to save the information that is needed to
dissect the data frames. When it dissects a data frame, it uses
find_conversation() and conversation_get_data() to get the information
from the config frame. Is that the proper way?

But strange stuff happens when I have data frames before the first
configuration frame:

README.developer says (line 2741): "The conversation returned is where
                          (frame_num >= conversation->setup_frame
                        && frame_num < conversation->next->setup_frame)"
and (line 2723): "If no conversation is found, the routine will return a
NULL value."

It is my understanding that find_conversation() should return NULL for
the data frames before the configuration frames.

find_conversation() calls conversation_lookup_hashtable() to search for
the conversation (conversation.c, line 632):

match = g_hash_table_lookup(hashtable, &key);

if (match) {
   for (conversation = match->next; conversation; conversation =
conversation->next) {
      if ((conversation->setup_frame <= frame_num)
       && (conversation->setup_frame > match->setup_frame))
         match = conversation;
   }
}

return match;

The code doesn't work when frame_num is smaller than setup_frame of all
conversation in the linked list. The "for (...; conversation; ...)"
doesn't execute the body of the loop because conversation is null and
returns a conversation with setup_frame bigger than frame_num passed to
find_conversation(). I think that's a bug.

Thanks,
Jens