Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New Wireshark welcome page!

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:44:23 +0200
Ulf Lamping schrieb:
Jim Young schrieb:
Attached patch (to SVN 25119) stops these particular messages during startup of Wireshark on my system.

In my case it's the first call to gtk/main_welcome.c's main_welcome_reset_recent_capture_files() that triggers the error messages. Specifically it's the call to get_container_get_children(welcome_file_panel_vb).
This error seems to be triggered because the variable
welcome_file_panel_vb was NULL at this time. The attached patch simply tests for a non-NULL welcome_file_panel_vb before attempting to get the child_list.

Is this the proper fix, or should welcome_file_panel_vb have actually had a non-NULL value by the time main_welcome_reset_recent_capture_files() is first called?

Hope this helps.
Thanks!

At least this should remove the GTK output Stig and you see. Maybe this is caused by different GTK versions, as I don't see this output. Just out of interest, what GTK version are you using (under Help/About)?

I've tried to commit the patch, but Gerald currently seems to have the SVN server down for maintenance. I'll try it later again ...
Checked in a fix for both in SVN 25120.

Should be working again ...

Regards, ULFL

P.S: Yes Jim, this was the right fix. The menu stuff is calling the reset function, before the welcome page is even initialized.