Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New Wireshark welcome page!

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 11:27:44 +0200
Michael Tüxen schrieb:
Dear all,

actually I think that
- all entries in 'Capture Help' should be moved to 'Online'.
- 'Capture Help' can be removed.
- 'Sample Captures' should be moved to 'Online'.

This would result in three columns:
* Capture
* Files
* Onine

For me this would be easier to understand, especially, everything
which is provided on the Internet is listed in 'Online'.

What do you think? Ulf?
To be honest, I don't think it's a good idea ;-)

Some general thoughts on the welcome page.

What can you do after you've started Wireshark:
1) Start a capture
2) Open a capture file
3) Tweak some settings
4) Prepare for huge capture files by opening relevant Statistics, etc.
5) Get some general information what this Wireshark is all about :-)

Tasks 3 and 4 are obviously more related to advanced users - and probably not really suitable for a welcome page.

My idea for the welcome page was to have the related *tasks* grouped in the columns:
all that is capture related in one topic (including related help)
all that is file related in one topic (including often asked example captures)
some general help to start working with Wireshark in one topic

I'm not sure what confuses you here. Maybe you think that:

a) there should be a strict seperation between online and offline stuff?
IMHO moving all online stuff into one column would end up in one of these link lists that no one cares about to use - or even read. If we really want to have a better seperation here, we should better visualize the difference between online and offline stuff, e.g. using different background colors. But I'm not a big fan of it.

b) there's an Online column and also online stuff in other columns as well?
I don't mind to change the name of the online column into something like "General Help", "Miscellaneous" or whatever fit's better here.

Regards, ULFL