Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New Wireshark welcome page!

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 02:23:41 +0200
Joerg Mayer schrieb:
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:29:14AM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
Is this the behaviour that you see? Than it's a bug.

The list of interfaces is build by asking dumpcap about the interface list (which should have the privileges), so the privileges of Wireshark shouldn't make any difference.

Dumpcap is not setuid on my system, and that's intentional. So instead
of showing an empty list it should just say: "Hey, you don't have the
neccessary privileges for capturing but viewing existing captures is OK".
I'm not against in adding something like this, but I'm not interested to implement it myself.

Regards, ULFL