Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New Wireshark welcome page!

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:45:37 +0200
Jaap Keuter schrieb:
Hi Ulf,

I like it, it's clean, simple, uncluttered. Lets see that we can keep it that way gentlemen.
Ack
On the tip of the day: as long as it doesn't required a mouse click to get rid of it I'm oke with it. It would be another section in the right hand column. It would read its contents from a newly to create text file, so development builds can have its newly developed features explained.
... and the topic would be called "News" :-)

But: It will be more work to add a good HTTP download functionality that works on all platforms, behind firewalls, etc.. There's currently some "basic" Win32 code for this - download_file() in update.c (the Win32 updater is another "incomplete" task of mine), but doing it well across all platforms we support is a different story.

However, this is all not very high priority on my ToDo list - I guess most users would simply not read the news, so the benefit might be not that big as it seems. So if someone wants start on this, it would be ok for me as well, but I'll not be the one to do it - at least not in the near future.
Since we now have a reason to go back to the empty application page I would suggest adding or moving a close button to the top right hand corner of the menu bar. Even though this isn't a MDI (yet) that is were one would expect it.

Thoughts?
I had a quick look at the toolbar to move the X item to the right, but that can't be done without doing some more work on the toolbar (or menu?) layout.

I'm currently thinking about a new/better/improved main layout. That new layout might make the X obsolete at that place altogether, so I hesitate to spend effort on it, which might become obsolete in a few weeks (months?) ahead.

However, this new main layout is more of a personal wishlist entry than anything concrete, so don't take me too seriously here (it will take a *lot* of thoughts to do it right)...

Regards, ULFL