Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 25097: /trunk/ /trunk/gtk/: about_dl

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:55:49 -0400
Guy Harris wrote:

Using the "explore" verb rather than the "open" verb in filemanager_open_directory() *might* work. I'll try that.

Didn't help. The good news is that it didn't launch Wireshark; the bad news is that it didn't open an Explorer window on the directory, either. I suspect what happens with the "explore" verb is that Windows Explorer says "hey, wireshark-gtk2.exe isn't a directory, I can't open that up as a folder window!"

I guess we need some way to convince the UI that when we say "wireshark-gtk2" we really mean "wireshark-gtk2", not "wireshark-gtk2.* and use the 'best' one you find" - if there is a way to do that.

Just to see what would happen I added a trailing '\' to the path. This worked using 'explore'; (I guess it would probably also work using 'open').

Would it be OK on Windows to add the trailing '\' (if missing) ?

I'm guessing that trying to have all 'directory paths'
(eg datafile_path, progfile_dir, etc) have the trailing separator would
break stuff at this point; A quick look suggests to me that
currently some do and some don't.

I do note:

   get_datafile_dir already defaults to using the
   trailing '\' (on Windows):

	datafile_dir = "C:\\Program Files\\Wireshark\\";

Thoughts ?