Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 25062: /trunk/gtk/ /trunk/gtk/: dlg_
From: Jeff Morriss <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:30:23 -0400

Guy Harris wrote:
Stig Bjørlykke wrote:
2008/4/17, Jeff Morriss <[email protected]>:
putenv("LANG=C")? ;-)
This works, of cource.  But can we add this in main()?
Well, I'm not that brave, but you did ask if it was possible ;-)

*Should* we add it in main? It affects things other than the language used in (some) buttons, e.g. it affects the way toupper() and tolower() work (which is why we mustn't use them, or functions that use them, on ASCII strings where we expect "i" to map to "I" in toupper() and expect "I" to map to "i" in tolower(), as that *doesn't* happen in Turkish locales, at least on Ubuntu). Are there any cases where it affects things in ways that users would want?
I use LANG=C so I don't care.  And I'm familiar enough with other
languages that I don't mind when my wife's laptop asks me if I want to
"Annuler" something.
Stig's question is interesting, though: Wireshark is (deeply) English
only (and deeply so largely on a German's conviction that it should be
that way--no American arrogance there) so should we be unhappy that GTK
is smart enough to use locale-specific dialog buttons?
In other words: should the dialog buttons be consistent with the rest of
the user's desktop experience or with the application that is providing
the dialog?