Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Hi, I need help

From: "Visser, Martin" <martin.visser@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 23:39:15 +0000
Khurram,

What exactly is "real-time"? I actually think displaying I/O graphs within 2 or 3 seconds of receiving is very much real-time (particular compared to say SNMP type tools). If you mean within a micro-second then the overhead of display 100 000 packets per second is not going to be very pretty. Not having looked at the code I imagine a display sample rate decision has been made that is a reasonable compromise. I suppose that a variable to adjust this rate could be made available to the end-user, but I also imagine that this might allow you users to unwittingly increase system load and hence more likely to packet drops - which is probably not a good outcome.

Martin

Martin Visser

Technology Consultant
Technology Solutions Group

410 Concord Road
Rhodes NSW  2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visserAThp.com

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the information in it.