Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] expert info indicator icons

From: Stephen Donnelly <stephen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:52:18 +1200
On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 07:36 +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:

> > The current icon versions do look better than before.
> >
> It's still a bit "pixel like", the reason seems that xpm doesn't support
> alpha channels. Maybe I can motivate myself to implement using png
> instead of xpm, as the png looks better.
> > In Linux at least it looks like they could be a few pixels taller, but
> > this may depend on the font selection for the status bar?
> Unsure, I've resized it to 14*14 pixels, maybe that looks ok now?

Rebuilt today (24884), the icon is certainly bigger and fills the
available space more completely. The positioning looks okay.

Shapewise it looks slightly octagonal, possibly an alpha/aliasing issue.
Otherwise fine.

> > It also looks
> > somewhat squeezed between the left of the bar and the first text field
> > (File information). It might look better spaced if it was centered in a
> > square space
> >
> On Win32 it looks good, could you provide a small screenshot of that
> bottom left area with the recent icon(s)?

Hopefully the list allows this, if not I can send them direct.

> > Does GTK2 support SVG in the UI directly?
> Not that I know of. But IIRC this is discussed for GTK V3
> > This would address any scaling
> > issues.
> >
> Unfortunately not in all cases. Scaling a complex SVG content down to
> 16*16 pixels or even lower resolutions can blurr the content completely.
> For openstreetmap.org I've drawn lot's of map icons in SVG, and it
> wasn't uncommon that they were useless when scaled down to 16*16 - so I
> also had to draw a simplified SVG for low resolutions.

Okay, this is probably sufficient for this application anyway.

Regards,
Stephen.
    Stephen Donnelly BCMS PhD           email: sfd@xxxxxxxxxx
    Endace Technology Ltd               phone: +64 7 839 0540
    Hamilton, New Zealand               cell:  +64 21 1104378