Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is there a way to change the path (location) of wireshark PL

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:07:57 -0700
yenan wrote:

My main concern is, I am willing to build a wireshark plugin dissector outside of wireshark directory, in Linux. For example, my wireshark source code is in $home/wireshark/ , but want to include the plugin in $home/plugin/ which is independant from wireshark directory, can I use the configure option:--with-plugins[=DIR] , to achieve my goal?

That will probably work, as long as you're willing to have *ALL* of Wireshark's plugins installed in $HOME/plugin. Given that Wireshark already looks in $HOME/.wireshark/plugins, I'm not sure what the advantage of using $HOME/plugin as the system plugin directory would be.

System plugin = plugin install in wireshark/plugin, personalplugin directory = $HOME/.wireshark/plugins, is that what you mean?

Yes.  Those are your two choices for where to put plugins.