Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] wishlist: show packets related same flow sequentially

From: "Ulisses Alonso" <ulisses.alonso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:33:55 +0100
Hi all

first of all, thanks for making wireshark a reality. Cheers.

I don't think there is a way of group packets related to the same
flow, and show all the flows at the same time. Using the option "Flow
Stream" each time is very time confuming with large capture files and
doesn't allow to compare several flows.

I think this is related to wishlit #28: Automatic highlighting of
related packets.

A first approach and fast at run time is to use the same heuristic as
flow-tools, that is bind related packets by L4 info and timeout, that
is no TCP-state machine or a-like, which is very time consuming.

A flow label could be attached to each frame and displayed in separate
column, by sorting by that column packets could be automatically shown
in the right order.

my two cents

Thanks

       Ulises

PD: I just subscribed to the list today for sending this, I will
unsubscribe in a couple of days.