Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] callin simple_dialog in my dissector

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:02:53 -0700
Praveen Kumar Jha wrote:

I want to popup an error message in the handoff function of my dissector

Unless you never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever expect to use TShark, no, you don't want to pop up an error message in the handoff function of your dissector, because there's no guarantee that you *can* pop up an error message in the handoff function of your dissector, because there's no guarantee that your dissector is running in an environment that has a graphical user interface.

What type of error are you trying to report?

(packet-xxx.c), using function declared in simple_dialog.h.
For this, I tried to include simple_dialog.h in packet-xxx.c, but I am getting following error during building:

epan/.libs/libwireshark.so: undefined reference to 'simple_dialog'

Dissectors are either part of libwireshark or plugins, and libwireshark is a library used by TShark, which has no GUI, and hence no dialog boxes, simple or otherwise - and plugin dissectors have to run in that same environment.

simple_dialog is part of the Wireshark application, not of libwireshark.