Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] MIB path not saved with preferences

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:19:36 +1100
Jaap Keuter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ah, it's the big Save/Apply/Ok/Cancel confusion. I would recommend you to
> go to Preferences|User Interface and uncheck the last box in the list
> which states "Settings dialogs show a save button".

That didn't answer the question. If Save *is* displayed, and you click
it, does it immediately write all preferences to disk? If Save *is not*
displayed, which of Apply or OK immediately writes all preferences to disk?

> With regards to the files being/not being in ~/.wireshark: normally the
> system wide files are used as they are installed. Once you make a change
> to one of the UATs the corresponding file is saved in ~/.wireshark. So
> adding a module results in ~/.wireshark/smi_modules, while adding a path
> results in ~/.wireshark/smi_paths.

That I have no problem with. What I was seeing was that even after I had
added paths and/or modules it still was not saving them in ~/.wireshark.
Once the files existed it would modify them.