Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] MIB path not saved with preferences

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:25:03 +1100
Jaap Keuter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This information is stored in ~/.wireshark/smi_paths and ~/.wireshark/smi_modules
>
> Thanx,
> Jaap

I'd love to believe you but there was no ~/.wireshark/smi_paths for my
userid.

: ls ~/.wireshark/
preferences  recent  smi_modules

I eventually gave up and touched ~/.wireshark/smi_paths and then through
some magic incantation of "Save", "Apply" and "OK" button presses it was
happy to add lines to it.

I tried it again as root with neither ~/.wireshark/smi_paths nor
~/.wireshark/smi_modules

Eventually through some combination of button presses, which I didn't
record, it created ~/.wireshark/smi_paths but not
~/.wireshark/smi_modules (probably the wrong incantation). So I copied
the default file there and I can add MIBs to it.

What is the "correct" sequence of "Save", "Apply" and "OK" to get
preferences saved? I would expect "Save" would be enough if that button
is displayed. Which one of "Apply" and OK" saves if the "Save" button is
hidden.

If you follow "Save" with one or more of "Apply" or "OK" does that stop
the prefs being saved? Do you have to exit the dialog with "Cancel"? The
principle of least surprise would suggest "Save" should be committed
immediately.