Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problems with epan\oids.c

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:19:56 -0400
Guy Harris wrote:

If it's not already exported, perhaps the libsmi developers weren't aware of the wonderful "feature" of the Windows development environment wherein a library uses the version of the C runtime library with which it's built rather than the version with which the application using the library was built; that's a rather alien notion to most if not all UN*X developers, and I suspect the libsmi developers started on some UN*X.

nicely stated !

If so, yes, we should probably mention that to them, e.g. on the libsmi list.

(While we're at it, we should probably also mention to them that:

	1) there's an smi_render man page:

		http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/cgi-bin/dwww?type=man&location=/usr/local/man/man3/smi_render.3

	   but there's no link to it in the sidebar on the libsmi home page:

		http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/libsmi/

2) that page doesn't indicate that the strings returned by those routines are mallocated.)

A quick look at the last several messages on the list indicates that there's been recent changes related to compiling on Windows.

I'll read thru the messages tomorrow and
provide some comments/suggestions as appropriate and as per the above.