Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problems with epan\oids.c

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:51:46 -0700

On Mar 16, 2008, at 9:17 PM, Bill Meier wrote:

         (Obviously it would be much cleaner if smiFree were available
         as part of the API so that it could be used on any
         platform. Or: maybe there's another better way .....
         Possibly we could ask upstream if something can be done).

If it's not already exported, perhaps the libsmi developers weren't aware of the wonderful "feature" of the Windows development environment wherein a library uses the version of the C runtime library with which it's built rather than the version with which the application using the library was built; that's a rather alien notion to most if not all UN*X developers, and I suspect the libsmi developers started on some UN*X.

If so, yes, we should probably mention that to them, e.g. on the libsmi list.

(While we're at it, we should probably also mention to them that:

	1) there's an smi_render man page:

		http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/cgi-bin/dwww?type=man&location=/usr/local/man/man3/smi_render.3

	   but there's no link to it in the sidebar on the libsmi home page:

		http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/libsmi/

2) that page doesn't indicate that the strings returned by those routines are mallocated.)