Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] multiple dissectors for similar protocols

From: MKS {} <mks_97@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:28:21 +0000

Folks,

I was modifying the built in SIP dissector to accommodate some fields that we have added to the SIP protocol. Since the sip dissector is statically built into wireshark, I would need to distribute a customized version of wireshark to my customers (internal).

I would prefer to distribute this modified SIP dissctor (say "mySip") as a plugin that can be used with  a standard distribution of wireshark. Is there any way I can achieve this without wireshark complaining of a clash when it builds its dissector table? One way might be to use "mySip" in all the restration routines and then associate port 5060 with "mySip" dissector (using the Analyze -> Decode As option). Are there other any better solutions? Thanks,

--Mahesh

http://biggestloser.msn.com/