Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Fwd: Re: install from source on SuSe 10]

From: Jim Ham <jimham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 18:03:00 -0800
At 01:36 PM 3/6/2008, you wrote:

From your latest email I'm not sure if you saw this response. Are you not on the list?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] install from source on SuSe 10
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:44:35 -0500
From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jim Ham wrote:
[...]
wireshark: error while loading shared libraries: libwiretap.so.0: cannot open
The necessary file is in /usr/local/lib, which is included in /etc/ld.so.conf.
If I do this, it works:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
wireshark
Although (another problem) I have to be root to access eth0.
So two questions:
1) what do I have to do to let wireshark find the library?

I'm not sure, but...  Did you run ldconfig?  That updates the
configuration based on what's in /etc/ld.so.conf .

2) what do I have to do to make eth0 available to an ordinary user?

Make sure /usr/local/bin/dumpcap is owned by root and then:

chmod u+s /usr/local/bin/dumpcap

Great! All is well :-)

In recap:

reboot fixed the library not found problem
setting u+s on dumpcap fixed the problem where an ordinary user couldn't access eth0

Thanks for the quick fix, and thanks for the private email since I was not monitoring the list.

Regards,

Jim Ham

Porcine Associates
+1.650.326.2669