Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] install from source on SuSe 10

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:44:35 -0500

Jim Ham wrote:
[...]
wireshark: error while loading shared libraries: libwiretap.so.0: cannot open

The necessary file is in /usr/local/lib, which is included in /etc/ld.so.conf.

If I do this, it works:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
wireshark

Although (another problem) I have to be root to access eth0.

So two questions:
1) what do I have to do to let wireshark find the library?

I'm not sure, but... Did you run ldconfig? That updates the configuration based on what's in /etc/ld.so.conf .

2) what do I have to do to make eth0 available to an ordinary user?

Make sure /usr/local/bin/dumpcap is owned by root and then:

chmod u+s /usr/local/bin/dumpcap