Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] IO Graphs cumulative plot

From: Michele Pedrolli <mix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 14:54:55 +0100
Let's move this dicussion from wireshark-users to wireshark-dev.

Il giorno 05/mar/08, alle ore 20:34, Stig Bjørlykke ha scritto:

We already have the cumulative number of bytes in the frame dissector
(used for the cumulative column), so it's just a matter of adding this
as a generated frame field.

I need to plot a cumulative byte-length graph with IO Graphs, therefore I'm planning to develop this extension. I'm not familiar with Wireshark development, so I ask for a little bit of support to you.

In the "frame_data" structure in epan/frame_data.h there's the cum_bytes value. Is this value regularly updated or the field is just a placeholder for a feature development? Stig says "it's just a matter of adding this as a generated frame field"; what does it mean? In dissectors/packet-frame.c there are no references to the cum_bytes value. Do I need to add in dissect_frame something like:

proto_tree_add_uint_format(fh_tree, hf_frame_cum_len, tvb
    0, 0, cum_len, "foo bar", cum_len,
    plurality(cum_len, "", "s"));

Can you please suggest me the other required changes?

Thanks for your help.

--
                Michele