Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Using Wireshark via sockets or pipes on Win32

From: James Gilsinn <james.gilsinn@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 13:11:19 -0500
Wireshark developers,

I am working on a software package and would like to use the Wireshark packet dissectors instead of writing my own. I am a U.S. Government employee, so any code that I write is public domain and not subject to the GPL. I am trying to find out if there is a way to interface to Wireshark without having to compile the Wireshark libraries into my software. I would like to avoid the licensing issues of GPL vs. public domain vs. company proprietary software that may arise as part of the project I'm involved.

The FAQ, in section 1.9, discusses how you can use Wireshark as part of a commercial product. It mentions using sockets or pipes to keep Wireshark separated from the commercial software. I don't need real-time access to the data, so I think this solution would work in my case.

My question is, how do I go about doing this? I can find no description of how to interface to Wireshark via sockets. I have found some description of pipes for Wireshark, but they are always through a Unix interface. I can't be the only one who would like to use this type of interface on Win32. I'm sure there's information out there but I don't know where to look. I've already done a few Google searches, but they didn't turn up anything useful.

-- Jim

P.S. I'm not part of the wireshark-dev mailing list, so please respond to me directly or at least using a CC.

--

~ James D. Gilsinn                ~               Phone: 301-975-3865 ~
~ Electronics Engineer            ~                Cell: 301-706-9985 ~