Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] UTC time display

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 09:41:23 -0500

Stephen Fisher wrote:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:16:29AM -0400, John McHugh wrote:

Including an option to cause Wireshark to display in UTC rather than local would be a significant benefit to me and this community. I suspect that it is as simple as setting a preference and inserting a switch between localtime() and gmtime() (or their equivalents) in whatever code is used to convert the timestamps to calendar format.

Would you mind opening a bug report at http://bugs.wireshark.org requesting this (and mark it as an enhancement request) so we don't forget it?

My initial thoughts are that the option could be placed in the View - Time Display Format menu, either at the top with a separator bar below it saying Local Time or UTC Time. Or add two more Date and Time of Day and Time of Day options with (UTC) at the end. What does everyone think?

Personally I'd like more than just UTC. I get traces from around the world and sometimes the systems are set to UTC but more often they are set to the local TZ, wherever that may be.