Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New feature: custom columns

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:28:10 -0700
On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 03:37:19PM -0700, Stephen Fisher wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:41:31PM +0100, Stig Bj�rlykke wrote:
>
> > When having a custom column the "Apply as Filter" and "Prepare a
> > Filter" does not work as expected in the Packet List.  Sometimes
> > nothing is selected, sometimes "frame.number == 1" is added to the
> > Filter and sometimes the selection is invalid.  I haven't found a
> > pattern yet.
> >
> > You should have a look at this for 0.99.8 :)
>
> After reviewing of the code for a while, I've almost concluded that an
> extra run of col_init() right after clicking the apply as filter
> clears out all of the columns and then the custom columns aren't
> filled in again.  The normal columns are filled in again after this.
> I'll take another look as time permits if no one gets to it first.

I have fixed this as part of SVN revision 24511.

On a related note, if you add a new custom column and try to apply /
prepare ... as filter on it, it will use the values from the column that
used to be there until you restart Wireshark.  This is probably a
problem with the function that recreates the packet list on the fly that
I added a while back.  I'll look into that at some point unless someone
beats me to it :).

Steve