Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] : Plugin dissector not called when wireshark reassembles the

From: "Eli Ofenstein" <eli.ofenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 20:06:10 -0600
I have had a similar issue with my plugin.  What I see is the following behavior:

. my dissector is called at the beginning of the PDU
. my dissector calls tcp_dissect_pdus().  The length retrieval function yields the correct value for the PDU length, which exceeds the size of the current packet.
. tcp_dissect_pdus() notes that the PDU size exceeds the packet size and sets up the reassembly variables in the packet_info struct.
. tcp_dissect_pdus() returns, my dissector exits.
. Instead of returning to my dissector when the PDU is reassembled, the TCP dissector calls my dissector for each packet within the PDU.  Since the packet does not begin on a PDU start, my dissector discards them.

The result is similar to what has been stated here.  Each packet is denoted as being part of a reassembled PDU, but the reassembled PDU is never actually returned to the dissector, nor is the reassembly info (i.e. the source frames) ever denoted in the PDU's final packet.
When I traced back into the TCP dissector, I noticed that there was never a non-null tcp_analysis struct associated with the conversation.  It was always null.  Since this is where flow state is stored, the dissector could never reassemble my fragmented PDUs.  I didn't get any further than that, as I got sidetracked onto other projects.