Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Outstanding 0.99.8 issues

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:25:48 -0800
Bill Meier wrote:
I'd like to release 0.99.8 tomorrow or Wednesday.

I've updated the INSTALL file somewhat to match current Wireshark. However, I think there's a bit more updating needed as to the use of setuid & root privileges & etc.

I removed some comments about "don't use setuid"; It may be that I should have left them in....

What is the recommended install configuration re privileges on *nix for wireshark & etc ?

That depends on whether it's OK for any user on the system to be able to capture packets, or if that ability should be restricted.

I suggest updating INSTALL as needed and including the updated version in the 0.99.8 release.

I've updated INSTALL and README.packaging. I'll wait until tomorrow morning (PST) to copy them over and start the release process in case anyone wants to make additional changes.