Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New feature: custom columns

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:20:15 -0500
Looks good.

BTW: I tested "eth.src" as a custom column, but it does not sort correctly.  I know there's a column preference for it already, which does sort correctly though, so maybe it's no big deal?

One more thing, after alphabetizing the column choices in the last patch I submitted, it seems to me that there are quite a few redundancies.  For example:

1) Hardware src addr <=> Hw src addr (resolved)
2) Hardware dest addr <=> Hw dest addr (resolved)
3) Source port <=> Src port (resolved)
4) Destination port <=> Dest port (resolved)
5) Source address <=> Src addr (resolved) <=> Network src addr <=> Net src addr (resolved)
6) Destination address <=> Dest addr (resolved) <=> Network dest addr <=> Net dest addr (resolved)
7) Src addr (unresolved) <=> Net src addr (unresolved)
8) Dest addr (unresolved) <=> Net dest addr (unresolved)

Are all of those really necessary?  My suggestion would be to eliminate all the redundant column choices to help clean up the list.  Doing so would reduce the column list by at least 12 items from the above list.  I think keeping the "(resolved)" versions makes things clearer.  For example, eliminate "Destination port" and keep "Dest port (resolved)", as "Destination port" is ambiguous as to whether the port is resolved or not.

- Chris