Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New feature: custom columns

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:49:39 -0500
I would prefer to keep the custom columns for 0.99.8, even if not fully completed.  If it remains undocumented, then I doubt most people outside of those reading this list will even know it's there, and most people who do know it's there will be aware that there may be some deficiencies, but I think it's going to prove useful enough that it should remain.

In a prior e-mail, I suggested alphabetizing the column choices.  The attached patch does just that.  Unfortunately, I had to run distclean after the changes; otherwise the columns are all messed up.  The patch involved re-ordering the dlist[] array in column.c so that the text was alphabetical, then re-ordering the slist[] array above it, as well as the enums in column_info.h to match.  To make it easier for myself, I numbered both dlist[] and slist[] (in comments) before I started, then re-arranged the dlist[].  Afterwards, I re-arranged slist[] so the now out-of-order numbers matched and finally did the same for the enums.  Finally, I re-numbered them all sequentially and added notes about trying to keep them alphabetized.

BTW: I added a new column, "Proto2" of type "Protocol", so that there were now 2 of them.  After hitting "OK", then going back into "Edit -> Preferences -> Columns", I saw this: "Proto2  Protocol ()".  Note the empty parenthesis.  I changed it from "Proto2" to "Custom", and named it "TTL" with a field of "ip.ttl" and again hit "OK".  Going back to the columns again, I saw this: "TTL  Custom (ip.ttl)".  Ah, so now I know what the parenthesis is supposed to be for - for specifying the custom field to use.  To confirm, I changed the field name back to "Proto2" and selected "Protocol" again.  Another "OK" and return to the column choices showed this strange setting:  "Proto2  Protocol (ip.ttl)".  So it seems that the parenthesis are mistakenly being displayed for all columns instead of for only the Custom column.

- Chris