Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] ideal patch size

From: Richard Stearn <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 23:51:45 +0000
Kai Blin wrote:
Hi folks,

now that Microsoft opened up a lot of protocols, I decided to improve the DirectPlay dissector that so far only contains what I managed to reverse engineer myself. After hacking on this for quite some time today and realized that I got a bit carried away and the patch was growing pretty big.

Can I urge caution in using the Microsoft documents.

Before using the information, before even reading the information, please
read the terms and conditions those documents are released under.

The Microsoft announcement itself indicates there are limitations on what
can be done with code written with knowledge of the released documents and
what claims Microsoft may consider it had over that code (patents, royalties,
etc).

I am not yet a contributor to Wireshark, I hope to become one, albeit in only
a small way but I hope all who read this will pause to read the Microsoft T's
& C's first.  I have only read the announcement and there is enough in that to
stop me from using the Microsoft documents, both professionally and in my hobby.

--
Regards
	Richard