Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Bug 2288: "Selecting multiple files...": Advice/thoughts req

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:48:46 -0500
Bug #2288 reports a problem wherein on Linux requesting a wireshark capture to a file in a directory for which the user does not have write permission causes a popup which says only:
 "Child capture process exited: exit status 2".

I've posted a rather longish analysis in the bug 2288 comments of what I think is going on and some thoughts as to possible fixes.

The problems basically relate to the use of dumpcap as a childwireshark/tshark child and can manifest themselves differently for wireshark and tshark.

I would appreciate any comments which the developers might have.

(I would normally have posted the analysis here, but since I started the analysis in the bug comments, I decided to continue the analysis there).

Thanks

Bill