Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Create User Friendly Hex Dump for Compression Algorithms
From: Guy Harris <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:15:28 -0800
Padilla, Alex D wrote:
Does anyone know how I can create a more user friendly hex dump display for compression algorithms?
The hex dump field is intended to be a raw hex dump; that's as
user-friendly as it's designed and intended to be.
I would like to separate the hex dump when capturing packets into sections that contain information on compression algorithms, whether the dump is chunked or not, and a variety of other things.
Presumably there are some fields in the packet that indicate what
compression algorithm was used and so on, and presumably you're already
dissecting those fields and showing them in the packet detail pane.  If
not, that's the way you should convey that information.
If that information is part of the compressed blob itself, then you
should show the raw contents of the compressed blob in a structured
fashion in the second pane (e.g., showing whatever fields indicate the
compression algorithm, etc.), and then decompress it and dissect that
separately.