Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] ip.addr != 10.0.0.1 (Guy Harris)

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:23:55 -0800
Stephen Fisher wrote:
On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:52:11AM -0800, Gerald Combs wrote:
Stig Bjørlykke wrote:
2008/1/30, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>:

    The attached patch warns the user about "!=" and "ne" by coloring
    the filter
    entry yellow and adding a message to the status bar any time either
    of those
    tokens are present. It's a bit less obtrusive than popping up a dialog.

Yes, this is very intuitive even when the user forget why != can give wrong results.
It's been checked in.

A few comments:

 - The statusbar warning is not displayed while a live capture is in progress
- When you point to the filter entry field, there is no mention of what yellow means - The statusbar message should probably mention to check a certain place in the user's guide for more explaination

I finally got around to fixing the first and third items. Stig fixed the second one a while back.