Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 24295: /trunk/ /trunk/epan/dissector

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:59:08 -0500
Stephen Fisher wrote:
Gerald,

What are the chances of getting the Sun C compiler instead of GCC on the Solaris builtbot? We seem to be getting more and more reports of Solaris build errors and warnings.

Now that I've looked at the Sun compiler warnings reported by David in a bit more detail (and learned more about exactly how Wireshark builds when using GCC):

It appears that many of the warnings reported are for cases for which
the Wireshark build explicitly (or implicitly) disables warnings.

Two examples:
   1. The Wireshark GCC build uses -Wno-pointer-sign to disable warnings
      having to do with things like: signed char * = unsigned char *.

   2. The Wireshark GCC build does not (normally) use -Wcast-qual.

The warnings not seen due to the the above two cases account for many
of the warnings seen from the Sun compiler as described by David.

(I'm sure there are additional cases).

So: if we choose to use the Sun compiler, the first order of business
will be a requirement for someone to determine
if and how certain warnings can be disabled and then
to adjust the build scripts appropriately.

I will continue to go through the warnings to see if there's anything which stands out...

Bill