Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark-0.99.7 compiling error, The file contains a charac

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:06:10 +0000
Guy Harris wrote:
Graham Bloice wrote:

As per the VS2005 help:

C4819 occurs when an ANSI source file is compiled on a system with a codepage that cannot represent all characters in the file.

To resolve C4819, save the file in Unicode format.
So, you either use a codepage that does support ANSI, or you somehow convert all the files to unicode which would be a real pain when ever you update your sources to the latest.

...or we find all the non-ASCII characters in the files (or, at least, the ones that cause problems; I don't know whether MSVC has problems with comments) and get rid of them. I've removed non-ASCII characters from at least some character strings - they don't belong there, as there's

1) no guarantee that they can be displayed on all platforms (especially with GTK+ 1.2.x, which doesn't use UTF-8)

and

2) no guarantee that they'll be interpreted the way you want by the compiler (will it interpret them as UTF-8, or ISO 8859/1, or some other ISO 8859/x, or some EUC double-byte character set, or some Windows code page, or...?).

Excuse my little englander ignorance, but is the problem is occurring because the files have characters from outside the 7 bit ASCII character set? If this is correct we should add a suitable entry to README.developer.

It would be nice if there was an automated way of checking this (apart from using the MS compiler) for all committed files.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice