Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark-0.99.7 compiling error, The file contains a charac

From: Andreas Fink <afink@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:22:41 +0000

I've checked in changes for most of the files in his message (most of
which were gratuitious non-ASCII characters in comments that could be
replaced with ASCII equivalents, e.g. just using " rather than fancy
curly quotes); the only exception is packet-e212.c, which has country
names in French with accented letters.

I hate applications which screw up normal " into something more fancy....(they think)...

I suppose one way to handle that would be to have the E.212 dissector
read the country code list from a text file in UTF-8 form (we already
have one UTF-8 file read by Wireshark, namely the AUTHORS-SHORT file).
Yes, that means there's a file in the source tree that's not all-ASCII
and that thus

how about storing them in a ASCII way in the source file
for example for the accented e in french (é)

&eacute;

(the HTML way, which would require the corresponding code to convert it back to the real char)
This is at least somewhat readable.

The other solution is just to use plain old escape sequences like "\xE9" in the code. Its not so easy to hand edit (because you need to know the code) but I don't think this will change all the time.

Furthermore as far as E.212 goes, those are country names and the english version of a country name doesn't have accented characters. So as all the dissectors are in english, this one should be english too.

If we want the french spelling of a country name, we should also have the whole GUI in french (and possible many other languages). And if we do that, then we have all other languages popping up.