Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark-0.99.7 compiling error, The file contains a charac

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:25:44 -0800
Guy Harris wrote:

...or we find all the non-ASCII characters in the files (or, at least, the ones that cause problems; I don't know whether MSVC has problems with comments) and get rid of them.

I've checked in changes for most of the files in his message (most of which were gratuitious non-ASCII characters in comments that could be replaced with ASCII equivalents, e.g. just using " rather than fancy curly quotes); the only exception is packet-e212.c, which has country names in French with accented letters.

I suppose one way to handle that would be to have the E.212 dissector read the country code list from a text file in UTF-8 form (we already have one UTF-8 file read by Wireshark, namely the AUTHORS-SHORT file). Yes, that means there's a file in the source tree that's not all-ASCII and that thus

	1) isn't going to be displayed correctly on all systems

and

	2) can't necessarily be edited correctly on all systems

but at least it's not a source file - the only reason to edit it would be to add, remove, or change a country code, which is probably not going to be done as often, or by as many people, as would source code changes, and it doesn't have to pass through a C compiler that might not correctly interpret the characters.