Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Can't see my protocol in "Decode As ..." menu

From: "Glenn Shirley" <grshirley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:00:54 +1100
Hi Guy,

> On Jan 22, 2008, at 6:36 PM, Glenn Shirley wrote:
>
> > Hi Anders (et. al.),
> >
> > My protocol is based on an RTP payload type (e.g. 100) so my
> > dissector_add is as follows:

> > As mentioned before this was all working on a windows build
> but that
> > was a long time ago so I may have forgotten something.
>
> Your protocol can't show up correctly in "Decode As..."
> because "Decode As..." has no provision for RTP; it only
> handles Ethertypes, IP protocol types, and TCP and UDP port
> numbers.  It never did have any provision for RTP, so I doubt
> you were *ever* able to see your protocol in the right place
> in "Decode As..."; if you'd registered it in the "tcp.port"
> or "udp.port" table, it'd show up for "Transport", but that
> would mean that the packet would be *directly* handed to your
> protocol's dissector, rather than being handed to the RTP
> dissector with the RTP dissector handing the payload to your
> dissector.

Yep, very true.

> Given RTP dynamic protocol types, perhaps "Decode As..."
> should be enhanced to support RTP, and give a list of all
> protocols for which dissectors have been registered with the
> "rtp.pt" table?

That would be nice.  The "Decode As" functionality is very limited as is
(but still very handy).  Being able to decode on a range of other fields
would be extremely handy.

See also my last email to the list about things working when I disable all
but the essential protocols so looks like this is some sort of clash issue
with the payload type.

Cheers,
Glenn.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.