Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Can't see my protocol in "Decode As ..." menu
From: Guy Harris <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:46:41 -0800
On Jan 22, 2008, at 6:36 PM, Glenn Shirley wrote:

Hi Anders (et. al.),

My protocol is based on an RTP payload type (e.g. 100) so my dissector_add
is as follows:

As mentioned before this was all working on a windows build but that was a
long time ago so I may have forgotten something.
Your protocol can't show up correctly in "Decode As..." because
"Decode As..." has no provision for RTP; it only handles Ethertypes,
IP protocol types, and TCP and UDP port numbers.  It never did have
any provision for RTP, so I doubt you were *ever* able to see your
protocol in the right place in "Decode As..."; if you'd registered it
in the "tcp.port" or "udp.port" table, it'd show up for "Transport",
but that would mean that the packet would be *directly* handed to your
protocol's dissector, rather than being handed to the RTP dissector
with the RTP dissector handing the payload to your dissector.
Given RTP dynamic protocol types, perhaps "Decode As..." should be
enhanced to support RTP, and give a list of all protocols for which
dissectors have been registered with the "rtp.pt" table?