Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] pcap-ng support

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:41:00 +0100
Gianluca Varenni schrieb:
What doesn't work:
- timestamps are wrong. There are two problems here:
1. the IDB option for the timestamp precision is not decoded, and I was generating timestamps with nanosecond precision. 2. timestamps are not in the libpcap fashion (seconds and microseconds, or seconds and nanoseconds). It's a single 64bit quantity that is split into high and low 32bits.
Well, I've implemented the first IDB options now in SVN *24133*, if_tsaccur (only values 6 and 9 for now) and if_fcslen. So both timestamps and FCS should work ok now.

FCS indeed looks ok, but the timestamps are still odd in icmp2.ntar.

According to http://www.winpcap.org/ntar/draft/PCAP-DumpFileFormat.html#sectionpb, the timestamp isn't a 64bit quantity, but the usual pcap way of 32bit seconds from 1/1/1970 and 32 bits fractional second.

Do I miss something here?

Regards, ULFL

P.S. AFAIK (I'm not a native english speaker), if_tsaccur is actually the resolution and not the accuracy (as the name implies) nor the precision (as the text of is_tsaccur implies). Should we change the name of if_tsaccur to if_tsresol in the spec? Otherwise if we want to add a accuracy / precision option later (which I think we'll going to need), these names could get pretty confusing!