Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Win32 build process currently as slow as hell :-(

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:39:00 +0100
Sorry for the noise!

A further examination showed that this isn't caused by the dependencies in the makefiles, but a problem how MS Visual Studio 2005EE handles the build of projects.

It seems to rebuild all projects in the solution, regardless of any (well, not existing) dependencies?!?

I don't fully understand this, especially as I think VC6 doesn't work this way. Maybe this is caused by the "Makefile projects" I've used in the 2005 solutions. Any ideas?

Ulf Lamping schrieb:
Hi!

As there seems to be a tendency to add dependencies to the Win32 build process to get each and everything build automatically, the normal build is getting slower and slower.

Currently I'm building the debug-gtk2 target, which I've once added to only build the GTK2 version of Wireshark and copy over the corresponding files to wireshark-gtk2 - for debugging Wireshark.

When I'm currently doing nmake -f Makefile debug-gtk2, I'm getting the hell of things done that I very certainly don't need for normal debugging:

- UPX packaging
- lib download
- WSDG generation
- ...

... and in addition to this, some steps of the above are *repeatedly* done!

This gives me a pretty, pretty bad "code to build ratio" (10s coding, 10min building) :-(((

Is there really a need to build all that? We should be really careful adding dependencies like hell, making the normal developing as slow as it currently is.

Regards, ULFL

P.S: As a consequence, I tend to stop develop pcapng for now, as this is currently a big waste of time ...