Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] capinfos library issue when run from build dir (Unix)
From: Jeff Morriss <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:24:13 -0500

Stephen Fisher wrote:
Is it just my machine, or are others getting library not loaded errors
when running capinfos on Unix from the build directory -without- having
Wireshark installed at all?  I just noticed it is displaying messages
like this for each of the plugins before displaying the help message:

[email protected]:/usr/local/src/wireshark>./capinfos capinfos: Couldn't load module /usr/local/src/wireshark/plugins/agentx/.libs/agentx.so: dlopen(/usr/local/src/wireshark/plugins/agentx/.libs/agentx.so, 10): Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libwireshark.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/src/wireshark/plugins/agentx/.libs/agentx.so
  Reason: image not found

These messages do not appear when Wireshark is installed.  This is
happening only with capinfos and with all 5 of my build environments
(0.99.6 from tarball, a clean SVN, SVN w/ GTK1.2, SVN w/ GTK+OSX, and
SVN that I develop new code on).  Yes, 5 build environments take up a
lot of space :)
I just happened to be installing a new system today (and building
Wireshark to see how fast it'll build ;-)) and I did not see this problem:
chopin [~/Projects/wireshark/source/]> ./capinfos Capinfos 0.99.8
Prints information about capture files.
See http://www.wireshark.org for more information.
[...]
chopin [~/Projects/wireshark/source/]> rpm -qa|grep wireshark
chopin [~/Projects/wireshark/source/]>
Maybe your libtool has a bug?  I think it's libtool's job to make sure
the built things use the right libraries and so forth; remember that:
chopin [~/Projects/wireshark/source/]> file capinfos
capinfos: Bourne shell script text executable
I'm using:

chopin [~/Projects/wireshark/source/]> libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.24 (1.1220.2.456 2007/06/24 02:25:32)

HTH,
-Jeff