Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Change default coloring.

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 18:41:51 +0100
On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 12:13:18PM -0500, Kevin Arruda wrote:

> I'd like to change the default coloring options for a dissector plugin.
> I've easily found how to change coloring settings via user preferences, but
> I'd like to change the default settings so that other users do not have to
> update (import) their color settings manually.  The global color filters
> file is marked as a "Do Not Edit", so I'm unsure of how to proceed.

The global coloring file is marked "Do Not Edit" to prevent people from
messing it up. Every user will save a copy of the global file in their
own preferences directory onces changes are made to the coloring.

You can overwrite or edit the global file, as long as you make sure
the syntax of the file is correct. Please note that if users have
their owen colorfilters file, they won't pick up the changes you do
in the global file. They need to import them manually.

> Just
> to clarify, I'd like to add new entries to the global coloring file, and I'm
> unsure of how to accomplish this.  Should I just create a coloring file once
> with the standard editor and then just overwrite the global file in my
> distro package?

If you are redistributing the whole package, you could create a personal
colorfilters file with the user-preferences and then use that one as the
global in your distro. Again, if people have their own coloring filters
file before installing your new distro, their colorfilters won't be updated
with your new settings.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
    Sake