Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Running Wireshark in a virtual machine???

From: "John McDermott" <jjm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 10:12:31 -0700
It depends on the congiguration of the networking in VMWare. I think it needs to be 'bridged'. IIRC, I think in that mode VMWare will put the actual (Ubuntu) NIC in promiscuous mode anyway (or it may play with the MAC table). At any rate you should be able to see traffic to the guest.

(Sorry I'm not too specific, but my VMWare machines are not in this office...)

--john

I have Wireshark installed on both the host and guest
virtual machine.
In the Ubuntu Wireshark, I can see all packets.
In the virtual machine, I can only see broadcast type
traffic. The NIC is in the promiscuous mode.

--
John McDermott, CPLP, CCP
Writer, Educator, Consultant