Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] 3GPP RLC and MAC protocols support

From: "Martin Mathieson" <martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 11:26:21 +0000
Hi,
I don't know of anyone working on MAC or RLC dissectors.

FP is currently only available for Catapult DCT2000 and Tektronix K12 file formats, since those formats include the information needed to interpret the message payloads.  This amounts to using Wireshark as a different log viewer, rather than as a passive network analyser.

In order to decode the MAC and RLC layers, you'd need to either:
(a) use a file format that gives you this information directly (as above), OR
(b) infer the FP/MAC/RLC layer configuration/state using information gleaned from RRC configuration messages, OR MAYBE
(c) guess from the message size/timing/contents that common transport formats have been used, e.g. there are standard settings using with AMR co-ordinated channels? OR EVEN LESS LIKELY
(d) get all of this information from preference settings.  I think this is probably a non-starter since so much of the information is per-channel or even per-frame.

I'd love to see someone do this, but know that it isn't trivial - my company (Catapult) built such an analyser (using (b) - before I joined).

I could have extended the approach of (a) for the DCT2000 format, i.e. dissect our own proprietary primitive headers then use this and other information in the file format to hand off to pure MAC or RLC dissectors (that would use attached information, as the FP dissector does), but this would still just be using Wireshark as a different log viewer, I don't know of any other file formats that would then be able to take advantage of these dissectors in the same way (possibly K12 again...).  I believe the headers for MAC and RLC are quite short, and that it would take more effort to dissect the proprietary headers than it would for the actual protocol headers.

Regards,
Martin